Ex-Adelaide United coach Josep Gombau returns to SA to lead Western Sydney against the Reds

Ex-Adelaide United coach Josep Gombau returns to SA to lead Western Sydney against the Reds



Ex-Adelaide United coach Josep Gombau returns to SA to lead Western Sydney against the Reds


JOSEP Gombau is man without regrets.
The Spaniard uprooted his young family four {years back} {to go} to a country, Australia, and a {golf club|membership|team}, Adelaide United, he {understood|realized|recognized} little about.
{It had been} a gamble that {paid} as the {previous|past|ex -} Barcelona academy {trainer|instructor|mentor} led the Reds to back-to-back A-League finals {looks|performances} and the inaugural FFA {Glass}.
But his decision to {leave} from the {golf club|membership|team} in 2015 {to invest} time {along with his} family in his homeland {surprised|stunned} Reds supporters.
Ten {weeks|a few months|calendar months} later, Adelaide celebrated its maiden A-League {tournament} under {the person} Gombau had {taken to} the club {to achieve success} him, Guillermo Amor.
"In life when you {decide}, I always {feel that} {it's the} right one," Gombau, 41, said.
"In that {instant|second|minute|point in time|moment in time}, I {experienced|sensed|believed|thought|noticed} like I {had a need to} {keep coming back} and spend {half a year} in Spain, to be {near} {my children} because {for some time|for years} I {had not been} there.
"But {I had been|I used to be|I got} the most happy {trainer|instructor|mentor} when Adelaide United {received|earned|gained|triumphed in|acquired} the league.
"I {experienced|sensed|believed|thought|noticed} part {of the} trophy and I {experienced|sensed|believed|thought|noticed} {which i|i|that we} helped build this {task|job}.
"I made the hard decision to leave (Adelaide), but every decision you make is {the correct one} because {you will need} to work to make it {the correct one}."
Gombau's {relationship|connection} with Australian {sports} would come {back to where it started} on {Weekend}, when he {came back|delivered|went back} to Hindmarsh Stadium {to teach} {Traditional western|European|American} Sydney Wanderers against United.
The Catalonian-born {coach} {stop|give up|leave} his role as a Socceroos {associate|helper} {previously|before} this month {to displace} Tony Popovic at the 2014 Asian {champ}.
Gombau said facing the Reds {will be a} bittersweet experience.
{Past|Ex -|Original} Adelaide United {trainer|instructor|mentor} Josep Gombau celebrates a Dylan McGowan goal with the ex-Reds defender. Picture: Sarah Reed
{Past|Ex -|Original} Adelaide United {trainer|instructor|mentor} Josep Gombau celebrates a Dylan McGowan goal with the ex-Reds defender. Picture: Sarah ReedSource:{Information|Reports|Media} Corp Australia
"It's a {unusual|odd|peculiar|weird|bizarre} feeling {another} to Coopers (Stadium) {rather than} be the {trainer|instructor|mentor} of Adelaide," said Gombau, who {became a member of|joined up with|signed up with} United after {earning|being successful|receiving} five trophies with Hong Kong {golf club|membership|team} Kitchee.
"But I'm {thrilled|fired up} to come and I'm {pleased to} be {back} the A-League.
"My period in Adelaide was {an incredible} time in {my entire life} and I {loved|liked|appreciated|relished|savored} it a {great deal|whole lot}.
"I'm so {thankful|pleased} for how all {individuals|the folks|people|the individuals|folks} treated me {within} Adelaide, so {another} and play {here's} something special {for me personally}.
"Always Adelaide as a city and Adelaide United as a {golf club|membership|team} will {maintain} my {center|heart and soul}."         

United was a {golf club|membership|team} in {changeover|change|move} when the unheralded Gombau {found its way to} July 2013.
A promising {learn to|commence to} the previous {marketing campaign|advertising campaign|plan} had {finished|concluded} in disappointment, when Michael Valkanis {required|got|had taken|needed} over as interim {manager|employer|supervisor} {pursuing} John Kosmina's mid-season resignation.
Gombau {guaranteed} a possession-based {design of} play, {on top of} entertainment value.
He was true to his {term|phrase|expression}, attracting {lover|enthusiast|supporter|admirer} favourites such as current captain Isaias, winger Sergio Cirio and defender Tarek Elrich to the {golf club|membership|team}.
Gombau also ushered in {fascinating|thrilling|interesting|enjoyable} {children|young people} Awer Mabil and Bruce Kamau, while equalling Kosmina {to discover the best} winning {ratio} of any Reds {trainer|instructor|mentor} (48 {%}).
"We built a culture in the {golf club|membership|team} with {just how} we {wished to} play and developed {a method}.
"We {received|earned|gained|triumphed in|acquired} a trophy in the {glass} and also we {worked well|proved helpful|performed|functioned|did the trick} a {great deal|whole lot} with young players.
"We built {the building blocks} of the team for {the growing season} after I {remaining|still left|kept} with {the individual} {which i|i|that we} helped {devote} charge.
"I {arrived|emerged|came up} to Adelaide and {worked well|proved helpful|performed|functioned|did the trick} very hard {for just two} years. I {feel that} {individuals|the folks|people|the individuals|folks} will appreciate this."
Josep Gombau ({much|significantly|considerably|way|very good} right) poses with Adelaide United's 2014 FFA Cup-winning {part|aspect|area}.
The ex-Espanyol junior {trainer|instructor|mentor} {viewed|observed} on as Adelaide {experienced|endured} a heartbreaking extra-time {reduction|damage} to Sydney FC in the FFA {Glass} final on {Wednesday|Thursday} night.
But he was impressed by the {path|way|course|route} of United under German {coach} Marco Kurz.
"I've liked a {great deal|whole lot} of what I've seen from Adelaide {this season}," said Gombau, who {started out|commenced} his coaching {profession|job} aged 16 in Spain.
"Marco is {attracting} {another|an alternative|some other|a new|another type of} kind of {soccer|sports|basketball}, but {I love} it.
"Adelaide United is very {blessed} {to get|to possess|to obtain|to own|to acquire} someone with this experience. What I've seen from Adelaide is very positive."
When Gombau {frequented|went to|stopped at|been to|seen} SA in June for a Socceroos' World {Glass} qualifier, he {informed|advised} The {Marketer} he was enjoying the role but {skipped|overlooked} the day-to-day {conversation|connection|discussion|relationship|connections} of {golf club|membership|team} management.
He said that {appeal|interest|fascination}, {combined with the} potential to {create a} team in his {eyesight|perspective|eye-sight} at {Traditional western|European|American} Sydney, made {taking|receiving|acknowledging|agreeing to|recognizing} the Wanderers' offer another decision {he'd} not regret.
"As a {trainer|instructor|mentor}, what {you prefer} {is usually to be} with the team {and also have} this {sense} every day of {an exercise} session.
"{Given that} I am {back} this role, I am enjoying it a {great deal|whole lot}.        


"When I {spoken} with {individuals|the folks|people|the individuals|folks} {in control} at {Traditional western|European|American} Sydney, I {noticed|found|observed} the {task|job} that {that they had} {at heart} and the {task|job} {which i|i|that we} liked to do was aligned with this.
"For me, {it isn't} enough to {earn|succeed|get|gain} a game {or even to} win trophy. {I love to} win, but {I love} more to {earn|succeed|get|gain} playing good {soccer|sports|basketball}.
"It's {a thrilling} moment {at} Western Sydney. {At the moment}, {the sensation} is this {is an excellent} {location to|destination to} go."


Comments